Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Charleston and the Karaoke machine

I've been a member of a photography forum called Open Source Photo for a few years. Wedding photographer and entrepreneur David Jay started the community back in 2004 to promote the sharing of ideas between wedding photographers. It has also become a place where you can go to get some moral support. When I left the newspaper world, I knew I would miss the human element of having a day job. OSP has helped fill the void. I've met lots of great people.

So, I offered to help organize this year's Open Source Photo meetup in Charleston along with Jason Tench of Blue Mountain Photo Works in South Carolina and Jill Higgins, a fantastic photographer from Georgia. It was a pretty incredible experience. It was my job to get speakers for the event. I asked several prominent photographers who are regular contributors to OSP - including David Jay himself, Kevin Swan, Carrie Viohl, Nathan Holritz, and Amber Holritz. And I thought I would even try my hand at speaking.

I was nervous as heck, considering the quality of the other speakers. But despite the lack of sleep the night before and some nervous rambling, I thought it went pretty well.

After all the learning, it was time to party! Not only did I rock Karaoke. I turned it into a verb.

I Karaoke.

This is me and the amazing Timothy Beckford of Timco Photography. "Listen all y'all, its sabotage... "
Photobucket

This is me absorbing Kevin Swan into my massive cranium.
Photobucket

The great Matt McGraw on the mic.
Photobucket

Here's me and my beautiful wife, Amy.
Photobucket

My good friend Christobal Perez of Azul Photography also came out to Charleston. He held a lighting workshop and I've heard some pretty rave reviews. Be on the lookout for a future lighting workshop with Chris. He's a magician with a strobe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey shane! you were nervous?? no way. i would have never known. you did a great job speaking! :-)